Chewing gum, popularly called chewing gum, is a wand-bum in the everyday life of every person.
Sometimes it happens that some situationsdeprive them of the opportunity to brush their teeth. Or it is necessary to refresh your breath before a business meeting or a date. At such times, chewing gum comes to the rescue.
Although not all of it is delighted. Some question the chemical composition of the chewing gum. But is chewing gum so harmful?
The origin of the chewing gum is rooted in the distant past, namely, the first mention of it appeared 5000 years ago in Ancient Greece.
The Greeks, as well as the inhabitants of the Middle East, brushed their teeth by chewing rubber and mastic wood tar. So these funds can be safely called the first prototypes of chewing gum.
But the origin of the chewing gum, whichapproximately resembled the present, dates back to 1848. Of course, it is very different from the modern one. The basis for the chewing gum, the composition - all this was based on rubber. And she looked different.
Its creator was John Curtis - an Englishman,who created a gum of resin with the addition of bees wax. He cut it in portions into small pieces, wrapped it in paper, and put it up for sale. Somewhat later, Curtis added spice and paraffin to his invention, which gave the chewing gum a flavor. Although all this did not save the situation that the chewing gum could not withstand the heat and sun rays and in a short time lost its market appearance.
Chewing gum, whose composition was very primitive, underwent some changes only in 1884. The author of the improved chewing gum was Thomas Adams.
His first chewing gum was endowed with an elongated form and licorice taste, which, however, was short-lived. The problem was solved by adding sugar and corn syrup.
Since then, the chewing gum has gradually become the kind of product that everyone is used to seeing in our time.
Adams was the creator of the first chewing gum with a fruit flavor, whose name is Tutti Frutti. By the way, this chewing gum is made to this day.
In 1892, the famous chewing gum appearedWrigley`s Spearmint, created by William Wrigley. In addition, he improved the technical production of the product - the chewing gum itself, the composition underwent changes: the shape became pronounced in the form of a plate or ball, components such as powdered sugar, fruit additives were added.
At the beginning of the last century manufacturers of chewing gums derived a single formula of what a real chewing gum should be. Its composition looked like this:
1. Sugar or its substitutes are 60%.
2. Rubber - 20%.
3. Flavored ingredients - 1%.
4. Corn syrup for the extension of taste - 19%.
Modern manufacturers produce their products with the following composition:
1. Chewing basis.
4. Coconut oil.
5. Different dyes.
7. Flavors of natural and artificial nature.
8. Technical ionol.
9. Acids: malic and citric.
Such a composition raises doubts about the usefulness of the chewing gum. But without chemical components, modern chewing gum would not be able to retain its taste for long, to be subject to long-term storage.
The use of gum though causes a lot of controversy about its benefits and harm, but nevertheless it does not detract from its relevance. Chewing this product brings its pluses to the person.
Every day hundreds of thousands of people, and maybe more, chew chewing gum, not thinking about its effect on the body. But chewing gum can do harm.
Chewing gum is a popular product. Advertisements daily claim that its regular use will bring a lot of benefits, for example, protect teeth from caries, give them the ideal whiteness, refresh your breath. But what is the truth, and what is the usual advertising move?
Myth 1: Gum will prevent the formation of caries and cleanse the teeth of food residues. The plausibility of this statement is about 50 to 50. Of course, caries will not protect the chewing gum, but the remnants of food can be removed, so that chewing gum can be used when there is no way to brush your teeth.
Myth 2: The chewing gum will create a "Hollywood smile". Alas, this is an empty promise of advertising.
Myth 3: chewing gum will speed up getting rid of excess weight. Many believe that chewing gum reduces the feeling of hunger, respectively, there is a want less. But this is a delusion. In addition, one should not chew gum on an empty stomach.
Myth 4: swallowed gum will remain in the stomach for several years. This can not be. The chewing gum will be eliminated from the body naturally after a couple of days.
"Orbit" is a chewing gum, the composition of which includes various artificial fillers. However, this producer is quite well-known, and the huge popularity of the product produced by him is justified.
After looking at the composition of the chewing gum "Orbit", which is indicated on the back of the package, you can see the following elements:
• Chewing base - polymer latex.
• Components that create a sweet taste - maltite E965, sorbitol E420, mannit E421, aspartame E951, acesulfame K E950.
• Various aromatic substances, natural and artificial, which depend on the anticipated taste of the chewing gum.
• Colorants: Е171 - titanium dioxide, giving the chewing gum a white color.
• Additional components: emulsifier E322 - soy lecithin, antioxidant E321 - artificial substitute for vitamin E, which inhibits oxidation, sodium hydrogencarbonate E500ii, thickener E414, emulsifier and defoamer, stabilizer E422, glazer E903.
There is also a variant of "Orbit" without the content of sweeteners. The "Orbit" chewing gum is the same as the usual one, only it contains sugar substitutes: xylitol, sorbitol and mannitol.
"Dirol" - another well-known manufacturer of chewing gum. The components from which it is made are different from those used for Orbit, but there are some similarities.
Gum composition "Dirol":
• Chewing base - polymer latex.
• Sweeteners - isomalt E953, sorbitol E420, mannit E421, maltitol syrup, acesulfame K E950, xylitol, aspartame E951.
• Additives of aromatic substances depend on the expected taste of the chewing gum.
• Colorants - E171, E170 (calcium carbonate 4%, white dye).
• Additional elements - emulsifier Е322,antioxidant E321 - artificial substitute for vitamin E, which helps inhibit oxidation, stabilizer E441, texturizer E341iii, thickener E414, emulsifier and defoamer, stabilizer E422, glazer E903.
E422 when it enters the bloodstream causes an intoxication of the body.
E321 increases the level of harmful cholesterol.
E322 increases the production of saliva, which subsequently adversely affects the gastrointestinal tract.
Citric acid can provoke the formation of tumors.
The composition of the chewing gum "Eclipse" is as follows:
• Base - latex.
• Sweeteners - maltitol, sorbitol, mannitol, acesulfame K, aspartame.
• Flavors are natural and identical to natural. They depend on the taste of chewing gum.
• Colorants - calcium carbonate 4%, E 171, colorant, blue, E 132.
• Additional substances - E 414 (gum arabic), stabilizer E 422, glazer E 903, antioxidant Е 321.
Chewing gum "avalanche of freshness" goes on sale in the form of small balls of blue, blue and green.
Such chewing gum is sold not in packaged packages of several pieces, but by weight. But basically the sale of this chewing gum is carried out by means of special machines - one by one.
The chewing gum "Avalanche of freshness" has the following composition: latex, sugar powder, caramel syrup, glucose, flavor "Babl-Gam" and "Menthol", coloring components "blue shiny" and "sea wave", E171, E903.
If you evaluate the composition of chewing gum, the conclusion about their "usefulness" suggests itself. However, few people think about the consequences that can cause chewing gum.
On the other hand, chewing gum can help out in some situations.</ p>